Grandma’s Heirloom Country Chicken Casserole Recipe

By Ross Sveback, July 9, 2010

20130513_170932You can’t live in the Midwest and not have a couple of recipes that involve a potato, can of cream soup and a bag of frozen vegetables – it’s just par for the course.  Here is  my Grandmother’s timeless recipe for her Country Chicken Casserole.  It brings me back to the days when she would make this and bring it over for dinner, comforting and homey.

2.5 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed – not peeled, boiled and mashed
1 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded, cheddar cheese
1 2.8 oz. can french-fried onions
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. coarse ground pepper

Combine ingredients and spread into the bottom of a baking dish or comparable oval baking dish.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

1.5# – 2.0# boneless, skinless chicken breasts – poached and shredded
1 26-oz. can cream of mushroom soup
1 16 oz. bag frozen, mixed vegetables – thawed and drained
1 c. sour cream
2 tsp. ground mustard
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 c. shredded, cheddar cheese – for sprinkling on top

Combine ingredients and spread over potoato mixture.  Sprinkle with additional cup of shredded cheddar cheese.  Bake in oven for 45 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly, serve and enjoy.

17 Comments

1. Sharlene says:

As a West Coast gal with southern roots, I don't have nearly enough of these kind of recipes. I bet Paul would love this. If you ever want any good dishes with a hispanic flare, you know where to find me. :)

2. debi9kids says:

Oh YUM!
    This looks DELICIOUS!

3. Sandi says:

I was shopping for the ingredients for this the other day (it looks great!) and noticed that the 28-oz. bag of French-fried onions is HUGE. . . I’m guessing that’s a typo of some kind because I can’t imagine all of those onions in one regular-sized casserole. . . . Can you tell me what it should be? 2.8, perhaps?

Thanks!

4. Billie Jean says:

Hi, im making this recipe now but I am curious. The potatoes should or should not be mashed?

5. linda says:

I sure do like the kind of recipes that I am seeing and will be trying many of them.

6. Kim Leippert says:

I’m making this for Dinner tonight! It looks great! Thank you for posting it!

7. Nykiah says:

Oh my word! This looks absolutely delicious! Casserole’s are always so easy and fun!

Blessings!
    Nykiah

howtotrainasuperhero.com

8. Jessi Fox says:

Just curious… how many people is this expected to serve?

9. Darcy. E says:

Hi Ross, I so love my Grandmas hot-dishes and she made the Best Ever Cheese-Cake..my brother and I had words on who got to take the left overs home..ha ha. I so enjoy watching you on Twin City Live–you have such energy and bubbly personality..don’t ever change you are a Doll!!!

Keep up all the good cookin and tips for us.

Have a DELISH DAY,
    Darcy

10. Betty Cutietta says:

Made your recipe and it is excellent. The flaver is delicious, in fact I’m making it for my garden club. Do you have any more recipes?
    Betty Cutietta

11. Patty says:

I would have this tonight if hubby was coming home to dinner. Really like the idea that I have everything already on hand

12. Harold Dawson says:

I have never poached a chicken. Is this easy

What do you think?